Tuesday, May 27, 2008

So over the weekend there were three movies I wanted to see, in this order:

Iron Man
Indiana Jones
Chronicles of Narnia

We went to see Narnia. What follows are some spoilers, so don't read if you don't want to.

It wasn't nearly as good as the first one. I have huge problems with the storyline, or lack thereof. I think the movie could've used another 30 minutes or so to give some sort of reasoning as to why they'd go fight with Prince Caspian to restore his claim to the throne. Granted, we missed about the first 3 minutes of the movie, so maybe something really insightful happened then, but I doubt it. We arrived shortly before news of Miraz's son was proclaimed by the professor. It seemed like this movie was all about the battle, but no thought was provided as to why they'd so willingly go to battle. The dwarf Narnian could've been used as a plot point and could've explained more thoroughly what was going on, but they chose not to do that.

The best part of the movie was the one on won fight of the kings. Everything else was kind of meh. I disliked the blatant Lord of the Rings ripoff with the attacking trees. Bleh.

I give it a 4 out of 10.

2 comments:

Plang said...

Indiana Jones was okay - not great. Too much CG in this one. I would sum it up like this - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

bmp1965 said...

You may not be aware that C.S. Lewis & J.R.R. Tolkien were very good friends who often read each other their stories at their favorite pub in Oxford, The Eagle & Child.
Considering that Lewis' books were published before Tolkien's you could say that Tolkien ripped off Lewis.
I've read all seven Narnia books and Prince Caspian was my least favorite - too full of darkness & conspiracy and not enough of Aslan.
There was a huge amount of exposition left out of the movie that was needed for those who hadn't read the books. With that in mind, I can see why you were confused and didn't care for the story.
Considering that I didn't care for the book, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the movie.
I'm looking forward to the next movie, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, my favorite of the seven books.

As for the Indiana Jones movie, all of the movies have dabbled in the supernatural, but this one dove in head first. The special effects were fabulous and the humor was what I expected, but I didn't like all the alien stuff. There's enough unusual stuff on this earth (including crystal skulls that look human), that they didn't need to look elsewhere.