Tuesday, July 24, 2007

And now for Thursday. It was another hectic day in the land of tropical paradise.

We had a snorkeling trip scheduled for 1:30 PM. That meant that we had to get up sometime before noon. It was a challenge. Breakfast was left outside of the room this time, as by the time room service knocked on the door we had not yet woken up. We polished off the breakfast tray and then went over to the Palms for a little a la cart action.

Following the long tortuous walk along the beach back to the room, we slathered ourselves in SPF 50. I wouldn't want my milky white skin to become slightly tanned (i.e as red as a lobster in 30 minutes or less.)

We boarded the same glass bottom boat that we had ridden before for our trip out to a dive site named "New Mexico." The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to return soup at a deli. As a snorkeling newbie, I stayed on the boat for about 5 minutes in order to get myself situated. The view was remarkable. We were in waters that ranged from 15 feet deep up to 30 feet deep. It didn't matter though, because you could see the bottom as if it were inches from your face. The water was crystal clear. It was really amazing. Unfortunately for me, my sea sickness kicked in. The water was quite choppy and after 30 minutes of bobbing up and down while looking down, I started to feel crappy. If I were able to keep an eye on the horizon I think I would've been fine, but since I was face down, I had a problem. I didn't get sick, just a crappy feeling. Later on, as I was laying down, I still felt like I was bobbing up and down - not good.

That said, I would do it again in a heartbeat. It's something that everyone needs to experience.

After the snorkeling, we took a much needed nap. We had dinner reservations at 7:30. We were having a private dinner on the beach that night. Just us, under torchlight, with a private waitress. It was great. We had steak and lobster as part of a 5 course meal. The ocean was essentially lapping at our feet. The stars were plainly visible. It was a very nice evening.

No comments: