Thursday, April 30, 2009

We had another layoff today. That makes 6 in 6 months. The company laid off 23 and re-assigned 10 more. We're down about 35% across the board now.

I also heard something that there was one employee whose blog they were reading. I guess the employee was talking about specifics and management found out. I don't know if they used that against them or not though. It would seem to me that it'd be illegal for them to do so unless the employee was doing it on company time though... Still, it sets a really bad precedent. I know they're already searching the web for details when they recruit someone, which at best is an invasion of privacy and at worst is illegal, but apparently they're still doing it anyway.

5 comments:

J Money said...

Unfortunately, it's not illegal to do background searches or Web searches on people. More than a few people have missed out on jobs because of pictures posted online, etc.

The brave new world we live in... I just figure if you aren't using specifics (names, companies, etc.) and your language and pictures aren't obscene, you're probably fine.

So don't post anything lewd on here.

boilerdowd said...

I'll pray for you, sir...having this hanging over your head is an awful way to work.

Plang said...

You should talk to your wife about Facebook or Myspace. Things posted on those places are being looked at very carefully by school administrations. My wife took her Facebook page totally private and has to monitor any pictures people may post of her.

I try to avoid work topics on my blog. They found a woman at work over the internet giving details about work on Myspace a few years ago. She got fired. You have to be careful before posting anything.

Unknown said...

My facebook/myspace pages are completely private (all they can see are my picture and name). I do not accept friend requests from parents or students.

It's a rather scary world out there...

Jeremy said...

Wait...Lindsay gets friend requests from students? Aren't the kids like 8?

I guess we need to get Andrew on Facebook, how else will he network once he gets to preschool?