Saturday, December 2, 2006

My dad went in for a more detailed dye test to determine exactly what would be the best procedure to handle his aneurysm, coiling it or clipping it. I was planning on leaving for the hospital around 11:00, since the test was at 8:00 and was supposed to take 2 hours. About 11:30 I got a call that his surgery might be scheduled for 1:00 PM today and that we needed to hurry to the hospital ASAP. I had picked up my younger brother and sister to take them to the hospital with me. We got there at about 12:15, and apparently my dad had said that they could do whatever they needed to do, but that he wasn't going anywhere until he saw his kids. I certainly wasn't prepared for surgery to happen today, especially anything as serious as brain surgery, though I obviously knew that it was coming up... It was an emotional time before he went in to prep, since I honestly didn't know if that was the last time I'd see him or not.

The surgeon and anesthesiologist talked to us before the surgery and explained what they'd be doing, as well as potential complications - one of which was stroke. They said that the procedure would take from 3 to 6 hours and then 2 hours in recovery before we could see him.

This is just part one. I'll finish part two tomorrow as I'm beat. It was a long day. Long story short (for now) he's doing as well as can be expected.

No comments: