Friday, August 25, 2006

The Indians are on a pace to become the first team in history to finish 10 games under .500 despite outscoring their opponents by 50-plus runs.

The team is just not as bad as their record indicates. Every year there are teams out there that overachieve, but never the Indians. This year the Yankees, Tigers, White Sox, and Twins all have records that are better than the numbers indicate they should be. How can they do that and the Indians can't?

Even last year when the Indians had 93 wins, the numbers indicated they should've had 97. This year they sit at 10 games under .500 and the numbers indicate they should be 12 games OVER .500. There has to be a reason for chronic underachieving.

Is it the manager? I don't think so. You can only do so much when your bullpen implodes every game. Even ownership doesn't have much to do with the players on the field DURING the games. I just don't get it.

Next year Dolan promises he will spend a "significant" amount of money on players. Well Larry, for you it would appear that $10.99 is a significant amount of money. I'll believe it when I see it. Go out and get Alfonso Soriano and then I'll believe you. Add Carlos Lee to left and then I'll believe you. Sign Barry Zito and then I'll believe you. Instead I predict we'll hear about "The Indians signed Placido Domingo of the Western European league to a 1 year contract valued at $9."

No comments: