Monday, September 27, 2004

I have high speed internet access at home now, and I have become bored with it. I have seen everything on the net.

In doing so, I stumbled across something from NASA called World Wind. It's pretty cool. It gives you a true color globe and lets you zoom in on anything anywhere. The servers are getting crushed most of the time, so downloading the pictures takes forever, but if you view the USGS satellite photos of select cities it's pretty cool. The USGS only gets you to about 500 meters above the ground, but that's better than nothing. The LanSat pictures should in theory get you to 100 meters above ground, but those are incredibly slow to download (and I have yet to get them to work as advertised).

As an example, I pulled up Tampa with the USGS photos and just looked for something with a parking lot. It turns out its some power station, but here are three photos. The first taken from 23,000 meters above ground, the next at about 10,000 meters above, and then the last one zoomed in to 500 meters.










No comments: