Thursday, May 29, 2003

I have now seen the Matrix Reloaded. There were a few interesting ideas in there, but overall I get the impression that they were trying to force too many twists in the plot. Granted, there are only so many things you can do once you give Neo god-like powers in the Matrix, so maybe I am being too harsh. In my opinion though, nothing in the movie really sticks out in my memory. I feel like there weren't really any defining points to the movie. Some parts were entirely useless or just dragged out too long. For example, the Zion dance scene / Neo - Trinity love scene were about 5 minutes too long. The scene with the French guy who held the Keymaker was also useless. Especially the part where they do the "between the legs in the matrix" shot after that woman eats the chocolate cake. I can't think of any reason why that scene would belong in the movie. The whole docking sequence in Zion didn't really advance the story at all either, except to give an idea of what Zion looks like and what kind of security it has. In the first movie the Agents needed the codes to Zion's mainframes to get in. In this movie it just seems like they need something to blow up the machine guns guarding the gates. It doesn't seem all that hard to me.

A lot of people are saying how good the CG was for the burly man fight, but I wasn't all that impressed. I thought that it was very easy to pick out the fake Keanu Reeves and Hugo Weavings. The Neo CG especially didn't look all that hot. He looked like he was made of plastic during the entire fight. Nit picking aside, the special effects were quite good. I enjoyed the Twins, but don't think they got enough airtime.

For some reason some people seem to have a hard time figuring out the ending. It seems quite obvious to me. At the end, in the tunnel, they are obviously still inside of the Matrix. That is why Neo is able to stop the Sentinels. For all I know there may be 100 Matrixes inside of Matrixes. Maybe the "outside world" isn't messed up at all. Maybe all those people are actually just computer programs, just AI themselves, designed to test out next programs. Maybe it's all set in the present day at MIT or something. Maybe Neo is really just the first program that thought for himself. Maybe it is just the very first actual Artificial Intelligence. The Agents would then just be the rules of the program, built in by the programmer (who is most likely the Architect.) Maybe everything I said is just crap. Who knows. I guess we'll find out for sure in November.

All that said, the Matrix Reloaded gets a rating of : 7. Would ask for it as a gift because I might want to watch it again some day.

No comments: